In February of 1924, the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce purchased, at cost of $600, six full
lots at the Southern end the town with a lease-purchase on 14 additional acres.
The property was located along Auburn ravine from the Hemphill estate. Their intent was to establishment
of a public park and swimming pool.
A generous donation of $10,000 from Mrs. McBean, the widow of Peter
McBean; and $4,000 by Gladding- McBean Company provided necessary monies for improvements including a dance
platform, tennis courts, basketball diamond, and a fine municipal swimming
pool (McBean Memorial swimming pool.
The official dedicated was on Saturday, May 23, 1925. A large,
enthusiastic crowd witness the activity which included a parade, swimming contest, loads of bathing beauties,
bands, dances, and speeches galore. Additional improvements over the years
has made McBean Park one of the finest in the county.
McBean Park and swimming pool are a source of pride for the community and have
continually been improved. Many annual events are held in the park and thousand benefit from it's existence.